Monday, August 8, 2016

Day 100: Banquet of Berries

Camp in forest near Peavine Creek - cowboy camp on ridge west of Mushroom Rock
Mile 1430 - 1450
Total 20 miles

Today's walk starts with a gradual climb uphill through shady forest. As the first sun rays show up through the tree canopy, I notice the bushes on both sides of trail are full of dark blue, ripe, healthy berries.


In the last few weeks there have been a few ripe serviceberries here and there. But here the berries are huge and all are ripe and healthy. I don't hesitate and feast on the unexpected banquet.
Then I continue walking uphill to a ridge with view of Mount Shasta, California's biggest volcano and the second highest peak of the Cascade Range.

Further along trail there are more berries to taste.

Thimbleberries ..


Currants ..


Gooseberries ..


And many more delicious serviceberries ..



I make many long breaks to feast on the berries. Eventually the trail leads me to a spring where I fill up water and I meet one hiker resting at the spring.




There are also some other berries with bright red color. I'm not quite sure if they are edible and I haven't tried them yet.


The trail traverses shady forests with dark green ferns and sunny ridges with distant views.


There are caterpillars and butterflies.


Then the trail starts climbing higher above the green sea of forest.


From top of the ridge, thunderstorm clouds can be seen building up near Mount Shasta.

And as the sun sets, lightning can be seen, but no thunder can be heard from the distant thunderstorm. I take a long break to watch the sunset as a few other hikers pass by; then before it gets completely dark, find a little spot right on top of the ridge for tonight's cowboy camp under sky full of stars.
Feasting on the delicious berries and watching the dramatic sunset has been a perfect way to celebrate one hundred days on the Pacific Crest Trail.


No comments:

Post a Comment