Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Day 108: Contour Walking

Campsite at Paynes Lake - campsite near small creek in Marble Mountain Wilderness
Mile 1591 - 1611
Total 20 miles

After yesterday's night swimming in Paynes lake, I wake up at dawn and start walking along contour of a steep ridge with views deep down. The squirrels and jays are also awake. The time just before sunrise is my favorite time of day on trail.



In one of narrow saddles on the sharp ridge with view of a mountain lake, I enjoy Sunday morning breakfast and greet the hikers Moonshine, Handsome and their dog Doja as they pass by.



Thin clouds have covered the sky as I continue walking on contour close to the ridge.



Along the trail grow yellow wild flowers and lots of berries, inviting me to stop and take long breaks for a delicious Sunday morning snack. Sometimes I keep backpack on and just pick a few berries. But many times, the bush is so big and the berries so sweet that I just have to take the backpack off and stay longer and eat.



A few other hikers quickly pass by as I take the long breaks. I am surprised that some hikers don't know that the serviceberries are edible. Finally I make my way to a saddle "Etna Summit", where the PCT crosses a paved road. Here some hikers are hitchhiking to reach the city of Etna down in the valley. I prefer to stay on the trail in nature, continue walking, and soon enter the Marble Mountain Wilderness area.


The trail passes the 1600 mile marker and starts a quite steep ascent on a hillside. Then it follows a contour to a saddle, where I prepare lunch and watch squirrels jumping between rocks and climbing on surrounding trees.



Then the contour walk continues with steep slopes above and below. There are more serviceberries and wild cherries. It feels as if the trail itself is inviting me to stop and take many breaks because it is Sunday today.



A few cumulus clouds have started building up above distant ridges, hiding the hot afternoon sun at times. Most of the time today, the slopes are hot and exposed.



Then the trail passes a flat area in a saddle with a wetland and a few cows grazing.


As evening approaches, hiking becomes pleasant again in shadow of the steep slopes. And there are more berries to taste. I continue walking on trail on contour until it almost gets dark, when I arrive at a cozy campsite under fir trees. There I setup camp for tonight and one other hiker Jazzman" whom I last saw in Kennedy Meadows also arrives and joins. It is nice to meet again after so many miles and it feels like meeting very old friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment