Saturday, August 6, 2016

Day 98: Summer Siesta

Cowboy camp under juniper tree on Hat Creek Rim - camp in oak wood near Burney Falls
Mile 1297 - 1314
Total 17 miles

Last night I slept on a luxurious cowboy camping spot on top of the Hat Creek Rim. Today the trail is leading me down from the rocky slope across a rugged lava field. The lava is full of cracks, rock piles, holes and little hidden caves. It also hosts a diverse community of bushes including the mountain mahogany (cercocarpus) with its feather-like propellers attached to its seeds.



The PCT crosses a paved road and continues traversing the lava field. Ospreys are nesting in one of the pine trees.


Then the trail enters a flat grassland resembling the landscape of the African savanna with volcanic peaks on the horizon. The volcano seen in the picture is Mount Shasta.

After the dry meadow the trail enters an oak woodland. The last time the PCT went through oak woods was in Southern California 900 miles back.


I am almost out of water when I hear a little stream: the first stream on trail after 22 miles. However there is cow poop all over the meadows around the stream, and so I don't drink the water. I had a bad experience drinking water from cows a couple of years ago and I don't want to repeat it.


Shortly after the stream there is a hydropower plant on the Hat Creek at Baum Lake reservoir.



And on Baum Lake a beautiful big pelican is swimming.


It is getting hot as I climb uphill through an oak wood behind the reservoir, when I see an inviting sign:


More signs and arrows lead me past a power line with nesting ospreys.


In shade of oak trees on top of a hill lies the Burney Mountain Guest Ranch. A family with two kids and two playful cats moved in the ranch this spring and they are working hard to turn it into a comfortable and peaceful oasis for all their guests including PCT hikers.



It is almost time for lunch and Linda makes for me a delicious black bean burger with lots of fresh veggies.

There is also a hiker box, a small store, showers, and a swimming pool. As I relax in the swimming pool, my dusty clothes are getting washed and my phone batteries are getting charged. The costs are $3 for shower, $3 for laundry and $5 for using the swimming pool.



Originally I planned to make just a quick stop at the ranch. But the place is so inviting that I stay for a long afternoon siesta. And it is a good idea because it is super hot outside. Around 5 pm I am ready to walk a few more miles when the hiker Budzja, whom I last met at Kathy's place in Tahoe, arrives. She had to get off trail for five days to attend a wedding, but she's very strong and quick and now she's caught up with me again :-)
Around 6 in the evening we leave the ranch, relaxed and thankful for the hospitality. The weather has become cooler as the trail leads us into mixed woodlands with pines, oaks and manzanitas.

In shade of pine trees is a welcome sign, a picnic table, a big jar of pretzels and a visitor book. There is also a box with cans of sodas. The place is called "Wild Bird Cache".



The visitors are asked to write a joke in the visitor book. I dig deep inside my brain and write the about the rabbit's thesis on consuming the meat of vulpes vulpes.

It's time to walk on a little bit before it gets dark. Direction: Canada!

And when it gets dark, I find a hidden spot in the woods, quickly set up my little tent and crawl inside. And here is something to keep in mind after my PCT adventure comes to an end:

No comments:

Post a Comment