Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Day 39: Wind Energy

Windy ridge in Tehachapi Mountains - highway 58 at Tehachapi Pass + hitch to Mojave Motel 6
Mile 548 - 566
Total 18 miles


Except for some sand and dust blowing around, the sleep on the windy ridge was comfortable. It was windy but very warm even in the night. With first little light I got up to start hiking. Soon the sky changed its colors as the sun appeared.


Far north more and more ridges and mountain peaks could be seen - some of them must be the southern foothills of the Sierra Nevada. And as I descended lower, the sound of windmills could be heard.


The trail gradually descended on a contour of a west facing slope; the above steep slope giving welcome shade long after sunrise. Than it came closer to the gigantic wind turbines.


Under the slope we can see the valley of the currently dry Oak Creek with dark green live oaks on its banks. On the opposite slope, more windmills of different sizes. The wind remained strong and powerful during whole day, giving me energy to keep on hiking in the 100 ℉ (37 ℃) heat.


Under the oaks I met my Czech friends sleeping and relaxing. They bravely hiked the whole mountainous windy section at night and are getting a ride to Tehachapi for a rest day. I sent some packages with maps and new shoes to another town Mojave and I really need good sleep in a real bed; therefore I continued hiking for 8 more miles towards highway 58. The next section on a low grassy ridge is like a walk through the modern history of wind energy development. Various models and sizes of wind turbines rise above the trail.


The flag trees indicate that the strong wind like today is no exception here; cooler airmass from the ocean being transported through the mountain pass towards the hot desert.


Cows graze between the windmills and isolated juniper bushes give a little shade. Partly because of the cows, the area has very little vegetation and the slopes are heavily eroded.


The trail begins a descent in many switchbacks down to the railroad and highway 58 in Tehachapi pass. I called the bus phone number to make sure the bus to Mojave stops for me at the highway exit. It should be there by 2:53 pm.


A road bridge over a dry stream provides welcome shade in the early afternoon heat. Around 2:40 I walked over to the highway exit to wait for the bus. No bus stop sign or shade anywhere, just scorching sun and fast driving cars and trucks. At 3:20 the bus still hasn't come. I called the Kern Transit number again and they said 2:53 was bus departure time from Bakersfield. So I misunderstood about the bus time and it should be at the exit after 3:48. Another half hour to wait in the heat. By 4:10 pm the bus is still nowhere. Did they forget about me? Then a car with some hikers stopped and pulled over asking if I need a ride. And even though the driver headed to Tehachapi, he said he would take me to Mojave. I gladly accepted. The driver's name was Crazy Squirrel, he also started hiking this spring but he was forced to stop due to a leg injury. Now he's in the desert area helping out PCT hikers. Very kind person!


Crazy Squirrel dropped me off in Mojave (11 miles off-trail) at the Motel 6. But it turned out that there are two Motel sixes in Mojave and that I reserved a room in the other Motel 6. Fortunately I called in and they cancelled my reservation, and so I can stay at the same place as few other hikers. I was happy to take a shower, shake off the sand and dust from everything, wash all the clothes and have big fries, chips and salsa at the fast food across the street. The swimming pool was closed - hope they open tomorrow morning. In the windy evening I talked to the other hikers, watched clouds rapidly changing colors, and got busy studying maps of the high Sierras that came in my package and snow reports on Facebook from hikers ahead. It's going to be a big adventure up there.

Finally I got to sleep in a real bed and tomorrow I'm not getting out until noon. All my muscles are stiff and they are asking for a zero day with zero miles of hiking tomorrow.



3 comments:

  1. Hope you get to the higher mts soon. The current heat sound harsh. Glad you are taking a bit of rest for a change. One of your e-mail accts said you "were out of the office, etc..." Did you see the notice about the Seeded Trail Bars recall ? Felt like a paskiainen to have to send it. Sorry.

    Thanks for sharing your fine adventure. We are in awe, and think about you and PCT a lot. Eeteenpein pohjoiseen. ~R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement! After 3 rest days in Tehachapi I am grateful to be back on the trail today walking towards much higher mountains! And please don't worry about the trail bar thing :-) I am entering a remote area with very sparse cell phone coverage- so my blog updates might become less frequent in the coming weeks.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your words of encouragement! After 3 rest days in Tehachapi I am grateful to be back on the trail today walking towards much higher mountains! And please don't worry about the trail bar thing :-) I am entering a remote area with very sparse cell phone coverage- so my blog updates might become less frequent in the coming weeks.

      Delete