Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Day 126: Smell of September

Cowboy camp in forest near Windigo Pass - cowboy camp (after midnight I built the tent) near Willamette Pass
Mile 1875 - 1876 on PCT + 23 miles on Oregon Skyline Trail alternate route + mile 1904 - 1905 on PCT
Total 25 miles


A joyful song of birds announces a new morning in the forest. I also wake up with a song of praise, grateful for a new day, for being still on the trail, and for being alive. It only takes a few minutes to pack up. I try my best to make my campsite look as if no human being ever slept there. A half mile north from where I slept lies Windigo Pass with a trail register. Here PCT hikers can choose between two routes: The official PCT that goes along high ridges, or the "Oregon Skyline Trail" (OST) which is six miles shorter and goes past several lakes and nearby the Shelter Cove Resort. Two days ago I walked six extra miles to Diamond Lake. Now I chose to take the shortcut.



I say hi to a crew of volunteers who are working on the trail, removing fallen trees, and putting in little stairs to reduce erosion. Then I continue walking through forest past two small lakes to a stream.



Near the stream some bright blue but suspiciously looking berries are growing. The leaves look similar to the "Crow's eye", a highly poisonous berry that grows in similar locations in my country.


The next section of the trail is called "Whitefish Creek Trail".


On the trail I pass two hikers, three horse riders and five horses.


In five miles there is a shallow lake named "Diamond View Lake". A fallen log leads into the water, allowing hikers to fill up their bottles. The lake is just deep enough for a quick swim. As I get out of the lake, I feel one or two raindrops falling on my chest. I look up and there is a dark cloud right above the lake.


The lake is situated on a watershed divide. On the north side of the divide, tree branches are covered by long green lichens. The rain must have been stronger here and the smell of the forest reminds me of September in the forests back home. I check the calendar and it is the first of September today! The departure of summer and arrival of autumn can definitely be felt in the air.



The path starts descending downhill when a roaring noise can be heard. A powerful stream named "Trapper Creek" is swiftly flowing over the rocks. Its sound reminds me of the streams and wild rivers that I was crossing in June in the high Sierras.



Delicious blueberries and huckleberries are growing on both sides of the stream. I stop for a snack break and meet a hiker named Raccoon who is walking from Canada towards Mexico. He tells me the Shelter Cove resort is nearby and that I should definitely go there because there is a rich hiker box.



In one mile I arrive at Shelter Cove. It is a paid campground with a store and a restaurant. The store is already closed, but there is a big hiker box with oats, nuts, dried fruits, couscous and lots of other good food.


Some other hikers are sitting around a fire and drinking, but I don't stay at Shelter Cove for too long. Across a railway track I head back to the PCT and watch the sunset over the lake.



Shortly after sunset I find a hidden spot between tall fir trees where I cook a hot supper and set up my cowboy camp for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment