Thursday, September 22, 2016

Day 140: Entering the Forests of Washington

Bridge of the Gods - cowboy camp near Three Cornered Rock
33 miles bus from Motel 6 in Vancouver, WA to Bridge of the Gods + Mile 2146 - 2160 on PCT + 1 mile side trail to Three Cornered Rock viewpoint
Total 15 miles walk

Yesterday I made an unplanned bus excursion from the PCT along the Columbia River to the city of Vancouver, WA to get a replacement cell phone. Today, equipped by a new "Kyocera" smartphone, I'm happy to get back to the trail. After a few hours of sleep at the Motel 6 in Vancouver, the cell phone alarm clock wakes me up at 5:30. It is still almost dark when I get outside to catch the city bus to the Fisher's Landing terminal where I wait for the minibus going to Stevenson past the Washington side of the Bridge of the Gods where I left the PCT yesterday.


The driver kindly agrees to drop me off near the bridge. I take a short walk back onto the bridge to take one more look at the mighty Columbia river and around 8:30 I'm back on trail!




Before heading uphill I take advantage of cell phone service and book the flight ticket to Europe. The date is set: On October 10th from Vancouver to Italy, where I'm having a conference presentation, and on October 15th from Italy to Prague! What is not set is for his many miles I can continue my walk. The weather can turn wintery at any time. The tarp should work well to keep me dry for one or two nights of rain. But what if there are three, four or five cold rainy or
days in a row? I am not sure if I am prepared for multiple days of cold rain and definitely I cannot stay on the PCT in the event of heavy snow. The mountains will give me signals when to finish. The sports challenge of walking all the way to Canada is still possible, but only in the case of exceptional weather. Luckily there are several escape points on the route, mainly in mountain passes where the PCT crosses major highways: White Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, Stevens Pass, Stehekin and Rainy Pass. The passes are few days walk apart and at each of them I can check the weather forecast and assess the situation. My next strategic supply point is White Pass, 150 miles north from here.

The forest is dark green with numerous species of ferns. The soil is still moist from the recent rains. Some parts of the forests in Washington state are named "Pacific Rainforest" and although the Columbia river gorge us not in the rainforest zone, the lush green forest here does resemble a rainforest jungle.



Higher uphill on south facing slopes, the trees are starting to change their colors. Today's date is already September 15th. The trail passes a small lake and a high voltage power line.



The climb uphill becomes steeper as the trail traverses exposed rock fields and again enters the cover of broadleaf forest.



After more than 3000 feet of elevation gain the, trail reaches a rocky ridge with views across the Columbia River gorge, back south towards Mount Hood. In the northwest direction the recently active volcano of Mount St Helens can be seen. The snow and huh glacier covered summit of Mount Adams stands out in the north east, encircled by high clouds.




On the ridge, coniferous trees are starting to prevail. Under one of the trees I see an ant hill: the first real ant hill on my PCT walk! Then I take a short side trail to a, spring bear the summit of Three Cornered Rock to fill up water. The water has yellow color and so I do not drink it, but the views from the rock are spectacular. The sun is setting, the moon is rising and all three volcano giants of southern Washington: Mount St Helens, Mount Rainier, and Mount Adams, dominate the northern horizon.




On the way back along the side trail, under thick cover of conifer trees, I cook a late evening supper and set up cowboy camp for tonight and quickly fall asleep, breathing in the fresh forest air.

No comments:

Post a Comment