Sunday, September 11, 2016

Day 132: Two Thousand Miles

Bunk bed inside cabin at Big Lake Youth Camp - cowboy camp on flat ridge north of Rockpile Lake
1 mile from camp to PCT + PCT mile 1995 - 2013
Total 19 miles

Last night I was more than lucky to sleep in a dry and warm shelter in one of cabins in the super friendly Big Lake Youth Camp. In the morning it is time to wash dirty clothes in one of the brand new washing machines and check the hiker box. The hiker box is neatly organized and has lots of great food including rice, couscous, teas and various nuts. With a heavy backpack and lots of supplies, I leave the camp around 10 AM and head back to the PCT. I find soon that my backpack is very heavy indeed. This is how the hiker box works: If you are too greedy, then you are going to feel the extra weight of your greed on your shoulders. And it works the other way too: If you are generous and give, then you will feel light and fly up the hills like a bird.



The sun is shining and raindrops are reflecting it's light. I breathe in the fresh forest air and greet hikers who are drying their sleeping bags and tents after last night's rain.



Delicious huckleberries are growing along the trail. After crossing a burned area and a highway, I see a number "2000". Two thousand miles of the PCT are behind me! To tell the truth, one year ago I have not imagined it is possible to walk this far in one summer. I can assure my dear readers there is not going to be a "3000 miles" article this year. The maximum limit for me is 2650.



Bright red cranberry bushes grow along the trail as it climbs uphill with views of numerous volcanoes in all directions.



Directly above the path stands the steep rocky volcanic plug named "Three Fingered Jack". In the north, the glaciated cone of Mount Jefferson dominates the horizon.



The PCT descends into another burned area. In between black tree snags hides a little lake where I fill up water for the upcoming seven miles.



On top of a narrow ridge I feel like a bird, flying above the vast expanse of green forest, burned forest, and volcanoes. Maybe not like an osprey, but more like a turkey or a grouse. My backpack is a bit heavy, but it is good weight with essential supplies of food at least until the Columbia river :-)



The sun is hiding on other side of the ridge as I reach a little lake called "Rockpile Lake". There some hikers are already camping and setting up their tents. I hike on a little bit more because the nights next to water are usually very chilly. The sky is changing its colors as I watch a herd of at least seven deer grazing on the ridge. Then it gets dark and thick fog descends on one of the mountains.




The ridge becomes flat with little groves of trees. Next to one of the trees lies a bare ground spot, hidden from trail and sheltered from the wind. There I lie down; after a few days in tent I am cowboy-camping again and the sky full of stars is my roof.

2 comments:

  1. 650 miles seem a long way. Twice as far as traveling from Provo to Monticello. That will be many foot steps. We think often of when you have finished your trek and come by for a visit on your way home, but that will be a chunk of time yet.
    Fall is in the air here also. And we have color in the leaves on "Y" Mtn.
    Bless you for posting such a beautiful blog. It is a big gift to your
    "couch potato" friends. Kiitän sua. ~R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the support! Before October 10th I'll be off the trail. After that flying to a conference in Italy where I hope to meet with Sahar and after that to Czechia. But if the snow arrives in late September or early October, then it is necessary to respect the mountains and get off-trail earlier. My "plan B" for the case of snow is to come visit Provo before leaving America!

    ReplyDelete