Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Day 146: Resupply Station and Rest Day at White Pass

Campsite under northern end of the Knife Edge ridge in Goat Rocks Wilderness - Village Inn Motel at White Pass
Mile 2277 - 2292
Total 15 miles

The night near the upper tree line just below the Knife Edge was cold, but it was dry. The large and scary looking storm cloud stopped its movement or it was redirected by the knife edge in another direction. In meadows and on exposed location it must have been below freezing, but the ground under the little group of trees where I camped stayed protected from frost. When I look out of my tent, the eastern sky is turning bright. Mount Rainier, the king watching over the PCT in Washington, is visible for a moment without clouds and with a fresh white snowy cap covering his entire summit.


The trail descends downhill into forest, crossing several meadows and streams. The soil is crunching under my shoes on the meadows and smoke is steaming from moist ground, lakes and tree branches as, the sun rises higher.


The well maintained path climbs up on a ridge, where Mountt Rainier can be seen again. Now the mighty volcano is covered by thick clouds. But near the trail it is sunny, a and I use the rare occasion to spread out and dry up my tent, sleeping bag and other wet items. I also cook a big lunch using up the rest of my rice supplies.



Soon after my lunch break I reach today's high point with views of the light blue colored Shoe lake. From there it is seven more miles mostly downhill to White Pass.



Passing a ski lift and little lakes, the trail enters old forest. I meet two hikers going south and a group of elk hunters with bows and arrows. The ground is covered with a half inch layer of hail. The thunderstorm from yesterday night was intense. I have been really lucky that it didn't reach my campspot last night.




Then I meet more hikers with tiny backpacks - a sure sign that civilization is near. Finally I hear the sound of cars ass thee trail emerges at a parking lot with information panels about wilderness ethics and poisonous mushrooms. From there it is just half mile on the road to the Cracker Barrel store where a package forwarded from Cascade Locks is waiting for me.



The store is still open and the package from my good friends Robert and Mary has arrived! It contains walnuts, almonds, raisins, black tea, flavored couscous, trail bars and all kinds of other goodies. The store also sells fresh fruit and fries. When I try to buy them my card is declined. But luckily I have the new phone and I can call the bank. Apparently they thought buying my tickets for Italy flight was a suspicious transaction and blocked my debit card. With the card working again, I order the fries and chat with other hikers and with two bikers, Dave and Kathy from Seattle who are on an eight week bike tour of Oregon and Washington. Time passes fast and it is almost 5:30. In an hour it will start getting dark. Some hikers are staying at the motel next door. I tell the bikers I need go get going and find a spot to camp before night kicks in. Or should I also stay in the motel? Then the bikers tell me: It is cold and wet outside and you should stay under a roof. We also are staying in the motel. We'll pay a motel room for you. I try to refuse but they insist and say I'll do thee same thing when the next opportunity arises. Thankful for the totally unexpected gift, I finally accept, and check in as comfortable motel room equipped with a little kitchen and a big tea pot.



I stay up late into the night, enjoying a hoit shower, drinking many cups of hot tea, measuring my supplies, and catching up on my blog writing. It is long after midnight when I finally snug in the warm and dry bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment