Friday, September 30, 2016

Escape Routes

Status update: I am now writing from Stevens Pass, PCT mile 1462. The following 107 miles go through very remote wilderness close to Glacier Peak. The last five days were beautiful, sunny and mild; but more unsettled weather is expected to arrive tomorrow.
Here is the latest forecast:

And more detailed forecasts for 1500 m / 5000 ft elevation around Glacier Peak:


There is a chance of snow showers above 6000 ft elevation. The PCT only reaches 6000 ft in the highest passes. It is still good to be prepared for escape routes.

escape route 1: Go back to Stevens Pass. Good option if weather turns wintery before I reach mile 2480.

Escape route 2: Mile 2499, North Fork Sauk River trail. This trail descends quickly to lower elevation; it is 8 miles from PCT to a forest road, and 8 more miles to a paved road with hitchhiking possibility to civilization. Note: this is an emergency escape route for the case of snow.

Escape Route 3: Mile 2538, Suiattle River. The river valley is at low elevation of 3000 feet. It is 7 miles to a teailhead where I could get a ride if I'm lucky; and an extra 21 miles to a major highway. There's supposed to be a pit toilet at the trail head where I could stay dry in case of heavy rain.

Escape route 4: Stehekin, mile 2569. There is accommodation at the Stehekin Ranch 2.5 miles from the PCT. Also a bus goes twice, a day to the landing on shore of Lake Chelan with a lodge, post office, and bakery. A ferry boat goes in the afternoon from Stehekin Landing to Chelan. In Chelan I can catch a bus to Wenatchee with connection to Seattle. Stehekin is my most probable escape point and possible end point of my PCT hike, still allowing time for a quick weekend visit to see my friends in Utah before leaving the USA.
...
After Stehekin it's 80 more miles to Canada border across very high elevation... Not even thinking about that section. The ideal schedule would be reaching Stehekin on Wednesday afternoon. If I reach there, then I'll probably stay at the ranch in a warm and dry cabin and decide on next steps based on weather, time, and my feet.

Notice about my blog:
I am now about 8 days behind in my blog postings. The days are getting shorter and l have chosen to spend time eating huckleberries instead of writing. Also when the sun hides, my fingers get cold very fast while typing on cell phone keyboard. But I promise to catch up on my blog posts, either 6 days from now in Stehekin, or after I leave the trail. My maximum number of remaining days on the PCT is 9 days. On October 10th I must board the plane in Vancouver and exit America!

2 comments:

  1. Rain and Snow :-( Still, you've had a grand tour of the high country. Congratulations. Glad you know how to escape the PCT and make the other needed connections. Getting back to civilization from where you are sounds a bit awkward ! Assume you'll fly from VANCOUVER for your trip to Utah; so a roundtrip ticket from there would get you back to the airport from which you catch your flight to Italy.
    Hope your visit to Utah works out, but realize Italy is the most important destination. May it all go smoothly. And Best wishes for next days to be DRY & WARM. ~R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Snowman. Go, go, go!!!

    ReplyDelete