Friday, September 16, 2016

Day 136: Around Mount Hood

Cowboy camp in saddle south of Barlow Pass - cowboy camp on west facing slopes of Mount Hood
Mile 2086 - 2100
Total 14 miles

The night was chilly, but with all layers on and under protection of thick tree canopy I slept comfortably. Today is Sunday and the PCT leads me around the west side of Mount Hood, an active volcano and Oregon's highest peak. Here is a picture of Mount Hood from yesterday:

Near the tree line and below the snowfields lies the ski resort of Timberline Lodge. Around 10 AM, after some steep uphills, I reach the resort. Inside the lodge is a spacious room with views across almost half of Oregon. The USA flag and all other flags in front of the lodge are flying halfway in memory of the victims of September 11th.
Lots of hikers are hanging out in the room, seated on sofas, talking, making phone calls, writing their journals or just taking a nap. The time of breakfast is over but one of the hikers recommends I should join for the lunch buffet. The price is not cheap ($20) but I cannot resist the opportunity to get salads, fresh fruit, vegetables and all kinds of food that are very scarce on the trail. Especially the baked potatoes and the chili soup and grapes at the buffet are delicious! The buffet is "all you can eat" and I make sure the money is well spend and eat more than three plates. Then it's time for a long Sunday afternoon nap.

It is around five PM when I'm ready to walk a few more miles on the PCT. On the trail I meet and chat with tourists from all over the world. There is a bus that goes several times per day from the suburbs of Portland to Timberline, bringing in hikers, climbers and snowboarders. This is one reason why I like Oregon. In Oregon the big cities and the surrounding nature seem to be much more connected together than in the other US states. There are many side trails connecting the cities such as Eugene and Portland to the PCT, and there are also many cross country ski paths, bike trails and a quite good public transport.

Even in September a large snowfield remains above the Timberline lodge, where snowboarders can train all year round. I say hi to a group of snowboarders and enter the Mount Hood wilderness again. It is starting to get cold and windy as the sun hides behind one of the side ridges. Close to the trail I see a campsite. But the so-called campsite has not been left in a good condition. A careless person left a bag of shit right next to the campsite. A few minutes earlier I had to poop inside a ziploc bag myself because the slopes of Mount Hood are too rocky to dig a cathole and the trail goes very close to water most of the time.
Luckily I have a lot of spare ziploc bags, and so I'm able to pack the careless visitor's shit and put it in the back pocket of my backpack.
After a few ups and downs I see the mile marker "2100". A short side trail goes from the marker down to a wind-protected saddle with tall trees, where I put on all layers of clothing and setup cowboy camp for tonight.

Notice: Today's blog post has only one picture because I lost my cell phone in Cascade Locks and I was two days behind in my blog writing when I lost it. Photos will also be missing in the upcoming two blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment