Thursday, September 22, 2016

Day 142: Testing the Tarp in Rain

Cowboy camp on ridge above valley of Panther Creek - camp under tarp near Deer Lake in Indian Heaven Wilderness
Mile 2182 - 2206
Total 24 miles

Although I slept outside just cowboy camping last night, I felt surprisingly warm because high clouds have covered the night sky. I get up early, make oats for breakfast, and continue heading upwards on a forested ridge. Soon I can feel first little raindrops falling on my head. At first it is a light drizzle that barely passes through the thick tree canopy. Gradually the drizzle turns into light rain and moderate rain. I am glad I put my sleeping bag and sleeping pad inside an extra plastic bag to keep them dry and I speed up my pace to keep myself warm. The trail passes the edge of a lava field called "Big Lava Bed" and then it reaches a parking area with a restroom. Inside the restroom seven hikers are hiding from the rain.




I can't believe my eyes how they fit in. They invite me to join them, but I just greet them and chat for a while and keep on hiking. This rain is not a quick as shower, it is a long and steady rainfall that will probably cf continue for rest of the day and most of the night and possibly most of the day tomorrow. If I keep moving, then I can stay warm until I find a good camp spot for tonight.

The trail leads me past a couple of little lakes into the Indian Heaven wilderness area. This area has an abundance of huckleberries and mushrooms. A special permit is required for collecting mushrooms here. However, I don't even think about collecting mushrooms as I walk the path that has turned into a continuous chain of streams and puddles.



After passing mile 2200 the rain intensifies further. I check the map and there are some lakes with possible camping spots ahead. I can see some tents set up at one of the lakes. I continue walking until the last lake, Deer Lake, where I find a slightly inclined spot between two trees that seems to be just the right size for my tarp. I am thankful to Ellie from Ashland for giving me the big tarp and start setting it up. Both me and my backpack seem to fit under the tarp with plenty of extra room. I dig a little ditch so that water collecting on the windward side of the tarp flows away, and then I crawl inside and finally take off my wet trousers, wet shoes, and wet socks. Raindrops are drumming on the outside of the tarp, but inside it is dry! I put on my dry sleeping clothes and snug inside my sleeping bag. For extra warmth I cook two cups of rice. I am glad I started setting up the tarp early. When I am finished with supper, it is pitch dark outside. I fall asleep thankful for the thin roof above my head and with hope of staying dry until the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment