Sunday, May 22, 2016

Day 23: Deep Creek (and hot springs!)

Cowboy camp between granite boulders near Holcomb Creek - cowboy camp in dry wash
Mile 291 - 315
Total 24 miles



Today morning was the coldest so far on the trail - definitely below freezing in the valleys and cold north wind blowing on the mountain ridges. Luckily I slept in a pretty spot under two huge granite boulders - it was warm and cozy just like under two buttocks.
And from Big Bear hostel hiker box I've got oats and green tea to warm me up for breakfast. Today's trail section continued following Holcomb creek. With each mile downstream the creek grew stronger. And at one of the many camping spot I met my old friends Karlos from Mexico and Seabiscuit from Belgium! I'm slowly catching up with hikers who skipped the Lake Fire detour. Duck tape rocks.


Through burned and already recovered forest, we descend towards a bigger stream: Deep Creek. A high bridge crosses the stream and the trail continues perched above its deep rocky gorge.


Deep creek has been the strongest and deepest stream on the PCT. It has very deep water pools and waterfalls between them.


A rare toad lives there. And lots of other frogs and fish. Continuing downstream the surrounding slopes change from forest to chaparral shrubs and desert.
I pass mile 300 and look forward to the highlight of the trail: Deep Creek Hot Springs.


The hot springs (shown in a distance) are a famous, clothing optional spot with really hot water pools right next to the cold deep creek. One hiker Piledrive warned me not to go into the spring because very lethal bacteria lives there. Luckily I have no open wounds and so I dip my naked body in the hot water. In today's freezing weather it is like being in paradise. Many other hikers also take all their clothes off and enjoy the heat.

After the hot springs we continue down the deep canyon until reaching an empty reservoir: the Mojave Forks dam. Below the dam, the PCT goes through a Ford across the wide stream.


At first, after taking off shoes and fording the stream, I filter water for drinking and think about camping on its sandy beach. But the wind is ferocious and with sunset it gets freezing cold.
A better decision is to continue walking, climb up the low hills, and find a protected secluded spot in one of the little valleys on the bottom of a dry wash.


The empty dam is seen below and the horns of trains and cars from the sprawling cities of Hesperia and Victorville can be heard in a distance. But in my spot I am safe and secure.


No comments:

Post a Comment