Monday, May 30, 2016

Day 31: Hiker Heaven!

Vasquez Rocks - Hiker Heaven in Aqua Dulce
Mile 451 - 455
Total 4 miles (almost "zero" day and rest day!)


A cliff overhang in the rock city of Vasquez Rocks provided great shelter from the morning drizzle. I have just 4 miles left to hiker heaven! My pack felt really light, as I strolled through rocks in the fog, out of all food and out of all water. Two hikers slept in even bigger rock shelter.


Through more rock formations I reached the visitor center right on opening time. This place is located in the San Andreas Fault. Here, the continental American plate and the oceanic Pacific plate meet and crush, creating huge mountains, deep rifts, and frequent earthquakes.


An exhibition about local snakes confirmed that the snake met on trail yesterday was not a rattlesnake, but a non-venomous gopher snake.


After the visitor center starts the cute little town of Aqua Dulce. The Sweetest Farms Cafe is open for breakfast with hot tea and delicious oatmeal with fresh strawberries. I meet lots of hikers and when I head out, a car stops giving me a ride one mile off trail to hiker heaven.

Hiker Heaven is a truly wonderful place on the PCT. The Saufley's have opened whole their house, kitchen and garden to hikers, and provide free laundry, shower and shade and place to sleep right next to the chickens and horses! They have five cute dogs and the whole place is just amazing. Plus I have caught up with the Czech team! And with Mountain Goat!

The timing is perfect too. After checking in I even make it for worship at the nearby Aqua Dulce Shepherd Church where they have free refreshments for body and soul. And then in town buy lots of food: rice, fresh fruit, dried fruit, fig bars, avocados, tomatoes, beans, tortillas, dairy-free chocolate! And back in hiker heaven cook a huge bowl of rice and beans more than I can eat. For the rest of the Sunday I feel like a happy snake after catching a big fat rabbit. Only my stomach is at work - the rest of the mind and body can relax!  More photos from hiker heaven in tomorrow's blog post!



1 comment:

  1. We are glad for you Jirka, that you had this day of rest. And church. ~R

    ReplyDelete