Thursday, May 26, 2016

Day 27: Endangered Species Detour - away from the clouds

Campground below mount Baden-Powell - Devil's Chair
Mile 379 - 386 of PCT + mile 0 - 8 of Endangered Species Detour
Total 15 miles


The night has been the coldest so far on the PCT. There was ice in my water bottles. Glad I have the green tea from the last hiker box. I left the campsite first and quickly started hiking to greet the rising sun. Just like yesterday, Los Angeles was hidden under a thick lid of clouds of the marine layer.
In places the clouds started spilling over the main San Gabriel ridge.


The rest of the hikers caught up with me at Little Jimmy Spring - a beautiful and strong flowing spring just under the ridge.


Shortly afterwards we met a big group of tourists from LA climbing up. One of them was really kind and offered us fresh watermelons and oranges. Thank you!


After cooking hot lunch in Islip Saddle in thick fog, we departed the main ridge to walk the "endangered species detour". This detour is in place to protected the habitat of rare and endangered frogs living on the trail. There are two variants of the detour: A shorter detour with some highway walking that stays on the main ridge, and a longer scenic detour that makes an excursion down into the side valleys. I choose the longer option - just to get out of the freezing cold!
The detour follows a narrow path down a side valley. I was happy to see some deciduous trees familiar from Europe!


A tongue of cloud spilling over from the saddle was reaching down into the side valley, almost like chasing me on my way.


The vegetation of the valley is very diverse with deciduous and conifer trees, and spooky looking plants (unknown to me).


After a steep descent I arrived at a nice stream: Rocky Creek and took a long afternoon break to dry the sleeping bag and wash all dirty socks.


Then I ascended on a low side ridge with yuccas and live oaks. It was comfortable to be out of the clouds and freezing cold!


In the next side valley under a rock formation called "Devil's Chair" is a very nice campsite, next to a stream, protected from wind and in shade of oak trees. A good spot to camp early today. Soon after another friendly hiker "Sasquatch" joined me with the same wise decision.



1 comment:

  1. Jiri, you are so cool! Read your blog become a habit of me now...

    ReplyDelete