Monday, July 18, 2016

Day 80: Sunday Bike Ride

Just a short blog post for today. Because it's Sunday and I'm staying in the beautiful welcoming home of trail angels Kathy and Jon. There are two hikers from Israel, one from Oregon and two from Washington who are all heading back on trail today. Still Kathy and Jon let me stay another night! And when I say I'm planning to go to the Sunday mass at saint Theresa's, they ask if I'd like to borrow their spare bike. I happily accept. It's a joy to ride through forest trails and bike path to St Theresa's Catholic Church close to the lake shore.



The beautiful church is full and it feels like home. The first reading is about Abraham and Sara accepting totally unknown strangers in their home. Kathy and Jon are the Abraham and Sarah of today offering hospitality to unknown dirty and smelly PCT hikers and asking for nothing in return!





And the main gospel is also about the hospitality of Martha and Mary :-) The hymns sung today are my favorites especially the last song "How Great Thou Art"







After mass there's a Sunday fellowship just like at St Mary's in Provo and coffee and I get to talk to many locals and visitors.

And yesterday I got the beautiful card from St Mary's and two rich packages from my friend Robert. I'm with you all in my heart!



I also make a call to friends back in Czechia and it's almost noon: time to check some of the renown local cafe's. And more happiness fills my heart when I pass around the Simple Bliss vegan cafe. There should be more places like this in every town! I try the delicious hummus tomato sandwich and the cashew "cheeze" nachos.
Und habe eine möglichkeit Deutsch sprechen mit Turisten aus Deutschland, die Karl May, Old Shatterhand und Bonanza Bonanza lieben  :-)





Then I take a long break in a park to catch up on my trail blog, check a bargain store "grocery outlet" with good deals on trail bars, cherries and avocados, bring some fresh cherries to Kathy's house, put my clothes to the washing machine, have beans for an early dinner with Kathy (I can never get enough beans on trail :-) and bike back to the beach for a sunset swim in USA's second deepest lake.







The water is warm with little waves. You can walk very far into the lake before it starts getting deep. Lots of visitors and locals gather on stairs to the beach, chat, sing, play or just quietly watch the setting sun.







After sunset I bike back through dark forest paths and trails to Kathy's place and get to sleep in a comfortable guest room bed. It's been a perfect summer Sunday!






2 comments:

  1. Mary is in awe of your adventure and loves the fact that you've had the "perfect Summer Sunday."
    Sahar says she can't see your blog "for some reasons." (Wonder what those reasons might be ;-) She thanked me for sending the blog address. In response, I'd asked her what she thought of your beard. She wants me to send it to her by e-mail.
    St Marys misses you and sends greetings. ~R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending the greetings from Sahar! For some stupid reason Iran government still blocks all websites owned by Google including everything on blogspot.com. maybe there's a workaround to get around the blocking :-)
    I'm running out of mobile data for the last month, so next blog update will be on 25th July.

    ReplyDelete