Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Day 82: Lake Aloha

Cowboy camp in forest near bike path - back to PCT at Echo Summit - cowboy camp on rocks near Gilmore Lake
4 miles on bike path to Meyers + 4 miles ride in van + mile 1090 - 1103 on PCT
Total 17 miles


Yesterday I started heading from town back to the PCT. Being too impatient to hitchhike, I just walk. But I was too sleepy and ended up cowboy camping in the woods just 2 miles out of town. The sleep helped and at 5 AM I'm on my way again walking on a nice bike path, first to the village of Meyers and then uphill back onto the ridge. There is a crossfit team training on the path as I arrive to the Getaway Cafe in Meyers right before opening time.

The staff at the cafe is really nice and accommodating. I order hot tea and delicious Mexican style breakfast, just ask for no egg and it's not a problem, and then write on PCT facebook group some directions how to walk from town back to the trail if you want to avoid the busy highway. Life is unpredictable. Just when I send my message, an older backpacker comes in and asks me if I'm headed on trail. He's been traveling in his van across the U.S, lives in the van and now he's headed for a two day backpacking trip up to Echo Summit. We have breakfast and then It's a quick ride uphill to the trailhead. I'm glad to be back on the PCT!


Through an old forest with pines, firs and lichens the trail winds its way to the outlet of Echo Lake.


The Echo Lake is a popular destination. There is a little store, big parking lot, a Japanese style picnic table, a tiny post office and a boat taxi taking visitors across the lake.


It's time to lighten up the heavy backpack. From yesterday's shopping at Grocery Outlet I've got a big can of black beans, bag of avocados, three garlic's and two bags of tortillas. So I set them up on the picnic table, get fresh tomatoes and onion from the store, and make a big black bean burrito brunch and chat with hikers passing by. It's nice to see a group of kids going for their first multi-day backpacking adventure.

And the post office is open so I decide to lighten up the backpack even more, get a box, and send all rain gear and some extra couscous and rice and water filter to Castella near the CA - OR boundary at mile 1,500. Feeling light and full of energy I can continue this amazing journey.

Joined by many hikers who take a hike one way and boat taxi back, I follow the shores of Echo Lake and then enter the Desolation Vilderness. My PCT permit is like an entry ticket into the protected wilderness areas on the green roof of California.


The trail climbs up a little bit and heads into granite rocks.


Then it approaches a big lake dotted with little islands: Lake Aloha.


Fresh wind is making white crests on the waves. I jump into the lake for a very quick swim. The water, mixed by the wind, is ice-cold. Then for the first time since exiting the desert, I spot a cute little snake.


The path winds along Lake Aloha shore, offering views of its islands from many angles.


After mile 1100 there are more lakes, many of them with little islands.


The stream connecting Heather lake to Suzie Lake flows through a spacious snow tunnel.


Passing the dark blue waters of Suzie Lake I start to look for a place to camp. A perfect spot is found on bare rocks further on trail nearby the Gilmore Lake junction.


It's getting dark but fresh wind is keeping the bugs away. So I don't bother with tent and go to sleep just under the stars on a big bed of flat granite rock. I'm grateful to be back on the trail in the peaceful wilderness of the Sierra!



No comments:

Post a Comment