Saturday, July 30, 2016

Day 88: Serviceberries

Cowboy camp on ridge above Sierra City - cowboy camp in saddle above Bear Trap Creek
Mile 1202 - 1226
Total 24 miles


Last night's cowboy camping spot was perfect: on top of a hill, bug-free, hidden from trail, and with an early view of sunrise. The high climb from yesterday on exposed rocks is behind me, I head into forest again, and walk a couple of miles before finding a sunny spot on a rocky ridge for breakfast. And when I look around I spot some dark blue berries in the bushes. The season of serviceberries (Latin name: amelanchier) that I loved to eat in Utah has started in Northern California!


Today the PCT leads me through gentle but diverse terrain of the Plumas National Forest with tall fir trees, narrow exposed ridges, meadows full of wildflowers, and many types of volcanic and metamorphic rock.


Blue surface of glacial lakes including the Summit Lake and Deer Lake can be seen from tops of the windswept ridges. Compared to previous days the sky is hazy, and I suspect the smoke might be from a distant forest fire. I hope the fire is not too big and not on the PCT route.


I tank up water at a spring where I meet the first other PCT hiker of today. Then on a sunny slope I meet a lizard, and continue my quiet walk through serene old growth forest along the ridges of the northern Sierra Nevada.


After few more miles the trail climbs up on a steep ridge with views far south, and then it descends under rock debris slopes into the dark shady valley of Bear Trap Creek.


At the bottom of the valley there are colorful wetland meadows, little streams with water supply, and also lots of bugs flying around.


To escape the bugs I continue walking until it gets dark and climb up to a narrow saddle on the northern side of the valley. There I find a little flat hidden spot, and listening to the barking sound of deer and voice of owls, set up my cowboy camp for tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment